I saw this done over at Romance Divas and couldn’t help myself. I think I owe it to 2007 to talk about the type of year that it was. So let’s see. Writing wise:
- Submitted a novella to a publisher on a whim (more so threat of bodily harm by my loving CP). My first submission. On a novella that was as unique as they come… completely not my style, one of those random muse amusement things.
- Novella accepted as part of submissions call. *holy crap*
- Months of editing make me gain an entirely NEW respect for writers. Editing is much much harder than writing. And it sucks.
- First e-book, Cinematic Royalty, released in September from Freya’s Bower. *faints*
- Cinematic Royalty gets reviewed. Three times! *cries* The outcome is quite positive so far.
- Was asked to write a second story for the print release of CR!! OMG! Two stories to see print!
- Finished first Book of my fantasy series and realized it isn’t the ending at all… (figures, huh?) it’s only the first half, hence, the second half is now a work in progress.
- Picked up on my sci-fi/romance after rereading it on a lazy day and realizing it’s actually pretty good. (I love surprises like that).
- Finished the contracted story with a stomach flu, against impossible odds, at like 2:30am on New Year’s!!!! <— I’m really proud of that one.
- Queried three agents. Got rejected. Cried a little. Got back on the band wagon. Polishing up, tightening my writing. Who knows when luck will strike?
So all in all, 2007 was a pretty eventful year for me as a writer. It was full of highs and lows. Panic and elation. Overall, it was a wonderful learning experience. Now, I believe instead of setting resolutions for the New Year (which we all know nobody keeps) I think I will set some positive goals.
- Finish the sci-fi romance. Have edited and ready for submission by February/March.
- Submit to one of two e-publishers I’m trying to target specifically.
- Get back to work on my fantasy story. Finally settle on the plot for Book 2. Finish it by the summer. Tighten book 1 and book 2. Send out to agents again. Play the wait/hold breath game.
- Give myself a break from the fantasy story so that I don’t want to wring my neck. Read more. Give new genres a try!
- Work on futuristic sci-fi that’s waiting in the wings.
- ~OR~ (man I love having options) Try hand at that fantasy YA I’ve been contemplating but terrified of. 😉
All in all, 2008 is looking to be a busy year.